David Roberts @drvox Seattleite transplanted from Tennessee; now blogging for t.co/5gESirnht7 about energy politics. Climate hawk, deficit dove. Not a doctor. Dec. 19, 2018 1 min read

Here's a fun question: what one album changed your musical tastes, and expanded your musical horizons, more than any other? (This isn't just your favorite -- it's the one you heard when you were a teen that led you out of your original music rut.)

I am only slightly embarrassed to reveal that for me in was Jane's Addiction. Nothing's Shocking completely rocked my world. In particular, the first 30 seconds or so of this song still have an almost physical effect on me.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kAIMlISHhU 

This was the mid-to-late '80s in middle Tennessee, which meant I was mostly listening to hair metal -- the unholy pop hybrid that metal had become by then. Def Leppard. White Lion. Whitesnake. Warrant. Skid Row. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Jane's Addiction led me out of the wilderness and then came Nirvana and the whole glorious early '90s -- grunge, Tribe & Digable Planets & so much great hip-hop, electronic music, jazzy stuff, etc etc. The early '90s were the peak of US pop culture don't @ me.

You can follow @drvox.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.