fooler initiative @metroadlib i reside in va, ride in va, most likely when I die, I'm gon' die in va. Apr. 02, 2019 1 min read

one of the biggest problems i continue to have-
like, in every facet of my life--
is my commitment to words meaning things.

b/c we are living in a post-literate world.
and words *don't* mean things anymore.

but i can't always accept that brutal reality.

today, i tried to tell my superiors that i could not create a schedule of deadlines for my team b/c there were too many factors beyond our control. i told them i could keep fairly comfortably w/in the seasonal parameters of our original plans (e.g. summer 2019)-

but that fixed, hardcore deadlines would be a fiction.
that's when my quasi-boss told me that she needed actual due-dates for certain tasks....
and not to worry...
she said that if a date were approaching and a task remained incomplete, i could simply........
change the deadline.

have i misunderstood the *entire* meaning of the word "deadline"?

is that possible?

is it possible i have gone to several prestigious universities and been employed in several fairly intellectually rigorous professions........

only to find....

that the word "deadline" means something TOTALLY FUCKING DIFFERENT from what it has THE WHOLE FUCKING TIME I'VE BEEN ON THIS PLANET?

if i can just go in and change WHATEVER "deadline" that's inconveniencing me, IS IT A DEADLINE?

OR IS IT A GENERALIZED SUGGESTION....

LIKEN TO THOSE OF THE SEASONAL PARAMETERS ALREADY ADVANCED in the plans i've submitted.

b/c i'm confused.

You can follow @metroadlib.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.