Walter Shaub @waltshaub former Director of @OfficeGovEthics now with @CREWcrew personal account - views are my own Jun. 18, 2018 1 min read

This is a turning point—a big one. Separating families under conditions in which, prior to the April 6 policy change, they would have been kept together is an atrocity. Sticking kids in an abandoned Walmart and, worse, tent cities is an atrocity. /1

This human rights crisis was engineered by the Trump administration (a) to deter others from coming here by terrorizing the people in their custody and (b) to create leverage for Trump’s wall. It is a policy of terror and extortion. /2

Harming children for political gain is evil. The people behind this are evil. They‘re also liars. First they boast about the new policy and its deterrent effect. Then they say it’s a law and nothing can be done. Then DHS Secretary Nielsen lies and says there is no policy. /3

What’s being done to these children and their families should be enough to stir an intense passion leading us all to act. But if this tale of human suffering doesn’t move you, know this: This is not the culmination of a drift to authoritarianism, this is the start. /4

Today they prey on the vulnerable. Success will embolden them. They’ll broaden their reach. If you wondered what you’d have done in 1930s Germany, you are doing it right now. If you thought action was needed in the event Mueller was fired, this is more important than that. /5

An opportunity to act is coming. Stay tuned for an announcement this evening. When that opportunity presents itself, seize it. Seize it to stop this creeping authoritarianism before the creep becomes a sprint. Seize your chance before it’s too late. /6

And do it for these helpless, blameless children who are suffering what for many will be permanent damage. Imagine this happening to your children. Better yet, ask yourself if you can live with being a complicit member of the conspiracy of silence and inaction. /7

If you can march, march. If you can’t march, give money. If you can’t give money, amplify the call for action. When I was in government in 2017, many of you wrote to me and said, “Do your job.” Now I say this to you, citizen: Do your job!

You can follow @waltshaub.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Threader is an independent project created by only two developers. The site gets 500,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Running this space is expensive and time consuming. If you find Threader useful, please consider supporting us to make it a sustainable project.