Walter Shaub @waltshaub former Director of @OfficeGovEthics now with @CREWcrew personal account - views are my own Jun. 21, 2018 1 min read

I've been think about this issue for the past few days. Could local authorities prosecute feds for either child abuse/neglect or for failing to report child abuse/neglect? In Virginia, the rules are very strict, but the Supremacy Clause of the Constitution is an obstacle. /1

2/ @EricColumbus was kind enough to share this case. Looks tough if they're following procedures. But they sometimes violate procedures, and some are contractors. I'd be interested in hearing from any lawyers with expertise who have additional thoughts.  https://caselaw.findlaw.com/us-9th-circuit/1430138.html 

3/ At one end of the spectrum, you can't prosecute them for the separations if there's a basis in federal law for separating families. At the other end, you obviously could prosecute a guard who brings a knife from home and stabs a kid. The question is where's the line?

You can follow @waltshaub.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Threader is an independent project created by only two developers. The site gets 500,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Running this space is expensive and time consuming. If you find Threader useful, please consider supporting us to make it a sustainable project.