DHH @dhh Creator of Ruby on Rails, Founder & CTO at Basecamp, NYT best-selling author, and Le Mans 24h class-winning racing driver. Sep. 21, 2018 1 min read

"If you don't hire juniors, you don't deserve seniors", spot on! We've had phenomenal success hiring junior developers at Basecamp. @jasonfried first tech hire was particularly junior at the time 😂 http://isaaclyman.com/blog/posts/junior-developers/ 

Seriously. I was a junior programmer who barely thought of myself as a programmer when I started working with @jasonfried. When we started building Basecamp in Ruby, I had only just picked up the language. Rails grew our of my junior aspirations and ignorance.

Not every junior hire will be such a fairy tale, but we've been thrilled with junior hires at Basecamp. @georgeclaghorn started as an intern, now he's a senior, and he built half of Active Storage. It took 4 years, but the investment has been repaid a thousand times over.

Just recently, we hired @rosapolis and @flora_saramago as programmers. They've both made our company so much better. Junior hires sees everything with fresh eyes. Reveals all the cruft that you take for granted. Forces you to become a better organization.

You can follow @dhh.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Threader is an independent project created by only two developers. The site gets 500,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Running this space is expensive and time consuming. If you find Threader useful, please consider supporting us to make it a sustainable project.