Michael Seibel+ Your Authors @mwseibel CEO, Partner at Y Combinator #ycombinator [email protected] Sep. 23, 2018 1 min read + Your Authors

Not sure what I'm supposed to think when companies who go to "competing" startup accelerators email asking for basic startup advice and/or how to get into YC.

Is it really a competitor to YC if they can't help with the basics and/or their demo day doesn't help you raise money? Seems like these things should be a basic part of the core definition of a startup accelerator.

On one hand I want to be helpful and I always reply to their emails offering the same advice I would give to a YC company. On the other hand I want to say "go make your existing accelerator work for the 7% they took!"

I feel less like this when the startup asks a very specific question or presents and interesting problem that perhaps my experience at YC or at my own startups would provide a unique perspective.

You can follow @mwseibel.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Since you’re here...

... we’re asking visitors like you to make a contribution to support this independent project. In these uncertain times, access to information is vital. Threader gets 1,000,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Your financial support will help two developers to keep working on this app. Everyone’s contribution, big or small, is so valuable. Support Threader by becoming premium or by donating on PayPal. Thank you.

Follow Threader