Steve Bullock @GuitarMoog Immigrant, Musician, Sound Engineer, SNP, ex-negotiator for UK in EU. Brother of @JuliaKayPotts. Supporter of @FinalSayForAll. Oct. 01, 2018 1 min read

I’m a fan of @JustineGreening - she was my minister at DFID. What she is talking about here though is a vote between Brexit options, which is not, I’m afraid, viable.

We have to be honest that the only choice is between what May brings (or no deal) & revoking Art50. 1/

Firstly, EU27 will have no interest in renegotiating the Withdrawal Agreement and Political Declaration, or in agreeing the extension to A50 necessary for a referendum that could result in a renegotiation, and creates more, not less uncertainty. 2/

So there’s no Chequers (it won’t be Chequers, why do people keep talking about Chequers?) vs EEA, or Canada+ vs Chequers or any other form of Brexit vs form of Brexit option available. 3/

Secondly, if anyone thinks that the half a million people-plus campaigning for a #peoplesvote are doing it to be given a choice between a crap Brexit and a slightly less crap Brexit, they’re in for a big shock. 4/

If that is what is delivered by @peoplesvote_hq , they’ll find hundreds of thousands of activists that supported a meaningful vote with an option to remain accusing them, rightly, of using their support then selling them out. 5/

And this is if there is a Withdrawal Agreement, which looks less likely each day at the moment. Nobody could believe for a second that a No Deal vs a non-available Renegotiation would be viable. 6/

Greening (hopefully rightly) says Parliament will not allow No Deal, and that must extend to rejecting it as an option in any ref. 7/

I’m sure some will read this thread thinking “FFS Steve, just STFU now and we’ll deal with this later”. Well, no. It is later already, and we have to be honest about what we are campaigning for. If we aren’t, we’re just as bad as the other side. Soz. 8/8

You can follow @GuitarMoog.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.