Walter Shaub @waltshaub former Director of @OfficeGovEthics now with @CREWcrew personal account - views are my own Oct. 27, 2018 1 min read

This week Trump smeared “globalists,” code for Jews in the Breitbart and Daily Caller world of nazis and white supremacists. Last year he said “fine people” rioted with nazis in Charlottesville. Murderous bigotry isn’t new, but there’s no disputing Trump’s role in emboldening it.

During a radical right-wing terrorist attack, Trump blamed the victims & called the bomb attacks a hoax (apparently after having been told by the FBI the bombs were real). His Homeland Sec was nowhere to be seen. Afterward, he resumed his attacks on some of the bomber’s targets.

Earlier in the week, Trump had covered for a foreign despot’s vicious murder of a Virginia resident who wrote for one of America’s top news organizations. The man had been a critic of the foreign despot, but the triggering event for his banishment was his mild criticism of Trump.

At rallies, where his thug followers menace reporters, Trump has said:

"Any guy that can do a body slam—he's my kind of guy”

“Just knock the hell—I promise you I will pay for the legal fees, I promise”

“maybe he should have been roughed up“

“I’d like to punch him in the face”

This year, Trump started a new zero tolerance policy at the border. This caused separations of children from parents. He made no effort to record identities & family relationships of some of the stolen children. Despite a court order, some have not been returned and may never be.

Now WH wants to detain parents and children together in cells indefinitely. The stated goal is deterrence (i.e.) atrocities to scare others away. They could spend decades (or lives) locked up for, at worst, a *misdemeanor* (Note: Trump was recently accused of possible tax fraud.)

Now Trump is sending the army down to the border, even though the goal is to intimidate a group of people who are far away and even though it’s illegal for the army to enforce laws on U.S. soil. Is it a publicity stunt for the election or a test to see what he can get away with?

If you don’t see a pattern in all of this, it’s because you’re choosing not to see it.

You can follow @waltshaub.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Threader is an independent project created by only two developers. The site gets 500,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Running this space is expensive and time consuming. If you find Threader useful, please consider supporting us to make it a sustainable project.