DHH @dhh Creator of Ruby on Rails, Founder & CTO at Basecamp, NYT best-selling author, and Le Mans 24h class-winning racing driver. Oct. 31, 2018 1 min read

I get that I sound like a broken record on a reasonable work week, not discriminating against parents, getting enough sleep, and focusing on making the hours count rather than just spending more of them. You know what? That's okay with me. Progress is a long arc.

The industry culture will not change until we make it not only unfashionable to brag about exhaustion and overwork, but untenable to do so. We need to reboot our values in the tech industry, and that's going to take time. And repetition. And persistence. Sign me up.

Yes, I've had a privileged run. Starting a business without developing terrible work habits. Running a business without imposing terrible work habits. But rather than look at that experience as some snowflaky outlier, impossible to repeat, I say BRING ON THE BLIZZARD FOR ALL! ❄️

What's acceptable and what's not change all the time. It only seems like we're stuck with what we got in the moment. But we're not. We can absolutely make it unacceptable to force workers beyond 40h weeks, unacceptable not to offer solid vacation time or parental leave. Let's!

It's fucking absurd that in the richest country in the world, in the richest industry in the world is home to such retrograde sentiments about working conditions. It's obscene to read about another venture capitalist praising the Chinese for 996. ENOUGH ALREADY.

You can follow @dhh.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Threader is an independent project created by only two developers. The site gets 500,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Running this space is expensive and time consuming. If you find Threader useful, please consider supporting us to make it a sustainable project.