David Roberts @drvox Seattleite transplanted from Tennessee; now blogging for vox.com/ about energy politics. Climate hawk, deficit dove. Not a doctor. Nov. 09, 2018 1 min read

I feel sick in my gut right now - flashing back to 2000. I see Dems all over the place making grandiose arguments about principle & democracy & the sanctity of voting. And I see the right just knife fighting -- lies, lawyers, riots, literally whatever it takes.

The differences between the parties are never clearer than in these crisis moments. Rs get on a gut level that this is about power & the outcome is all that matters. They will do what it takes to get that outcome. They can spin some justifying narrative later if need be.

Ds never seem to get that. Ever. I will never forget watching the fight play out in slow motion in 2000, as Al Gore made one futile statement of principle after another & Rs just shanked him again & again, right up to the Supreme Court. Even RW SCOTUS judges get it!

That extremely-Al-Gore instinct to "go high" & "respect the process" & "ensure peaceful continuity" was used against him ruthlessly. Ds didn't fight as hard as they could when it mattered & the consequences were disastrous on a world-historic scale. We're still living with it.

Anyway. Quit arguing! Quit patiently pointing out the lies in Giuliani's unhinged tweets. They don't care! They're not arguing in good faith. They're puking up words while their operatives try to prevent votes from being counted. The "arguments" are pure chaff, 100% distraction.

Never has sitting in my house and shouting at clouds felt so futile.

You can follow @drvox.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.