DHH @dhh Creator of Ruby on Rails, Founder & CTO at Basecamp, NYT best-selling author, and Le Mans 24h class-winning racing driver. Nov. 13, 2018 1 min read

It’s utterly unbecoming to see Amazon extract such blatant loot from HQ2 cities. Why the fuck does Amazon need government handouts? Bezos, as literally the richest man in the world, presiding over this is shameful.

I can’t say that having Jeff as a minority stakeholder in Basecamp feels good at the moment. We haven’t spoken with him in years, but I know what topics I’d like to bend his ear on if we get another chance.

How about a little less TOTAL DOMINATION, and just a tad more civic responsibility? This maximum extraction and municipal capture seems utterly shortsighted, even on business merits alone. Serving up the antitrust case on a platter. Stoking justified populist anger.

Amazon must have a whole army of smart risk managers. Either they’re not doing their job or Jeff is closing his ears to their message. This strategy seems extremely risky. Keep this up and antitrust busters are eventually going to get enough support to blow it all up.

On a personal level, this now means that I’m going out of my way not to buy from Amazon when given a reasonable choice. Convenience is powerful but voting with your dollars is even more so. Please vote responsibly with yours.

You can follow @dhh.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Threader is an independent project created by only two developers. The site gets 500,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Running this space is expensive and time consuming. If you find Threader useful, please consider supporting us to make it a sustainable project.