foone
+ Your AuthorsArchive @Foone Hardware / software necromancer, collector of Weird Stuff, maker of Death Generators. (they/them) Patreon: patreon.com/foone ko-fi: ko-fi.com/fooneturing Nov. 25, 2018 1 min read

Not to humblebrag or anything, but my favorite part of getting posted on hackernews or reddit is that EVERY SINGLE TIME there's one highly-ranked reply that's "jesus man, this could have been a blog post! why make 20 tweets when you can make one blog post?"

CAUSE I CAN'T MAKE A BLOG POST, GOD DAMN IT.

I have ADHD. I have bad ADHD that is being treated, and the treatment is NOT WORKING TERRIBLY WELL.
I cannot focus on writing blog posts. it will not happen.

if I try to make a blog post, it'll end up being abandoned and unfinished, as I am unable to edit it into something readable and postable. so if I went 100% to blogs:
You would get: no content
I would get: lots of unfinished drafts and a feeling of being a useless waste

but I can do rambly tweet threads. they don't require a lot of attention for a long time, they don't have the endless editing I get into with blog posts, I can do them. I do them a bunch! They're just rambly and twitter, which some people don't like.

so given this is a choice between two options, I can either:
1. make rambly tweet-threads that some people hate and wish were blogs
2. make no blog posts

I am sorry that I am picking #1, but it's really best for everyone.

I've tweeted about it before, but I've been told this is "unprofessional"
and I'm sorry if this surprises you, but I am not a professional writer.
of course my hobby writing is going to be unprofessional.

Cause it turns out there's good reasons I'm not a professional writer, and the main one is that I can't do it.

(although arguably right now I AM a professional writer, in that my only income stream is my patreon, since I'm currently unemployed. shit.)

that's here, btw, cause everytime I mention my patreon someone goes "WHAT, YOU HAVE A PATREON?". I'm not doing a good job of mentioning it.

https://www.patreon.com/foone 

and the hackernews thread is here:
 https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=18524298 

BTW, I couldn't post that before because I was on phone-internet and apparently hackernews is blocking t-mobile IPs? weird.

You can follow @Foone.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Since you’re here...

... we’re asking visitors like you to make a contribution to support this independent project. In these uncertain times, access to information is vital. Threader gets 1,000,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Your financial support will help two developers to keep working on this app. Everyone’s contribution, big or small, is so valuable. Support Threader by becoming premium or by donating on PayPal. Thank you.

Follow Threader