Steve Bullock @GuitarMoog Immigrant, Musician, Sound Engineer, SNP, ex-negotiator for UK in EU. Brother of @JuliaKayPotts. Supporter of @FinalSayForAll. Nov. 28, 2018 1 min read

Good god. I had no idea about this.

A UK Citizen returning to the UK from living abroad cannot claim means-tested benefits for at least 3 months, and has to prove they have cut ties with the country they were living in. 1/

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/coming-from-abroad-and-claiming-benefits-the-habitual-residence-test/british-and-irish-citizens-claiming-benefits/ 

They also haver to prove the ties that they have in the UK. 2/

And it could be longer than 3 months, depending how long you’ve been away, and what ties you’ve kept. 3/

But you must wait 3 months as a minimum. 4/

So the option to “just move back” for @BritishInEurope in the event of a no deal Brexit isn’t even there. 6/

And any UK Citizens in the EU who lose their jobs because of Brexit (often the job for which they moved in the first place), cannot “just move back”. 7/

And neither can any UK Citz who, for whatever reason, fall through the gaps of the post-Brexit systems for UK Citz in the EU and lose their right to remain. 8/

I knew there were limitations on healthcare, but I genuinely had no idea about this. This is treating us as criminals or traitors for exercising our rights. I’m utterly appalled. 9/9

You can follow @GuitarMoog.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.