Steve Bullock @GuitarMoog Immigrant, Musician, Sound Engineer, SNP, ex-negotiator for UK in EU. Brother of @JuliaKayPotts. Supporter of @FinalSayForAll. On Holiday. Back soon. Nov. 28, 2018 1 min read

Good god. I had no idea about this.

A UK Citizen returning to the UK from living abroad cannot claim means-tested benefits for at least 3 months, and has to prove they have cut ties with the country they were living in. 1/

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/coming-from-abroad-and-claiming-benefits-the-habitual-residence-test/british-and-irish-citizens-claiming-benefits/ 

They also haver to prove the ties that they have in the UK. 2/

And it could be longer than 3 months, depending how long you’ve been away, and what ties you’ve kept. 3/

But you must wait 3 months as a minimum. 4/

So the option to “just move back” for @BritishInEurope in the event of a no deal Brexit isn’t even there. 6/

And any UK Citizens in the EU who lose their jobs because of Brexit (often the job for which they moved in the first place), cannot “just move back”. 7/

And neither can any UK Citz who, for whatever reason, fall through the gaps of the post-Brexit systems for UK Citz in the EU and lose their right to remain. 8/

I knew there were limitations on healthcare, but I genuinely had no idea about this. This is treating us as criminals or traitors for exercising our rights. I’m utterly appalled. 9/9

You can follow @GuitarMoog.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Threader is an independent project created by only two developers. The site gets 500,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Running this space is expensive and time consuming. If you find Threader useful, please consider supporting us to make it a sustainable project.