Osman Faruqi @oz_f Deputy editor, ABC Life. Australian icon. Feb. 06, 2019 1 min read

This is a great piece describing a very real issue: the Australian media's unwillingness to embrace (extremely) successful Australian artists because they aren't white  https://www.theguardian.com/film/2019/feb/07/these-actors-are-doing-huge-things-in-hollywood-so-why-isnt-australia-celebrating-them?CMP=share_btn_tw 

Even though extremely good actors from migrant backgrounds are starting to break through in Australia, there's a few really stark comparisons that demonstrate a really big problem in the industry.

Indian Americans (including those born in India and those who have Indian ancestry) make up 1.3% of the US population. I can think of *so many* extremely famous and successful Indian American actors and comedians.

Mindy Kaling, Aziz Ansari, Kal Penn, Padma Lakshmi, Hasan Minaj, Hari Kondabolu and my Pakistani bro Kumail Nanjiani. This isn't an exhaustive list of Indian Americans in entertainment, just the very famous and successful ones.

In Australia the proportion of the population just *born* in India is 2%. That doesn't include second generation migrants. So it's safe to assume that there's probably twice as many people with Indian ancestry in Australia compared to the US.

But who are the famous and successful Indian Australian actors on the equivalent level as Kaling/Ansari/Nanjiani, making their own films and TV shows, hosting awards and being recognisable household names? I can't think of a single one.

There's only two possible reasons. Either Australians with an Indian background are somehow inherently less talented than those in the US, or there's something structurally broken about the industry that sees so few given opportunities despite there being twice as many of us.

And this is just one community I've looked into because it's close to home. I'm sure there are others where the problem is even starker.

TLDR: We should all be stanning @yoyogeraldinev but also there should be 10x more of her.

Also let me make a film - I'm like King Midas, everything I touch turns to gold. Go on.

You can follow @oz_f.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.