1/ THREAD: Lost in the noise this week was the introduction of an important bill by @RepSpeier. The bill is called the Restoring Integrity, Governance, Honesty, and Transparency (RIGHT) Act. It would close significant loopholes in the legal framework for ethics in government by:
- Requiring candidates for the Offices of President and Vice President to provide tax returns for the last 20 years.
- Closing a loophole in the Ethics in Government Act that allows donations by anonymous sources to legal defense funds for government officials..
- Clarifying that the anti-nepotism statute applies to appointed positions within the Executive Office of the President and the White House and putting to rest the (invalid) claim that a loophole in the existing statute allows violators to hold office without pay.
- Increasing accountability and transparency for Hatch Act violations on the part of Presidential appointees by providing that the President will be deemed to have adopted disciplinary action proposed by the investigative agency, unless he/she rejects it in a public writing.
- Creating a disincentive, through increased transparency, for senior officials to abuse taxpayer-funded travel.
- Preventing federal officials or their immediate family members from improperly profiting from taxpayer funds.
- Eliminating the ability of government contractors to donate to presidential inaugural committees.
I'm really excited to see these proposed reforms, and I like the way the RIGHT Act addresses them with pinpoint precision!
You can follow @waltshaub.
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.
Enjoy Threader? Sign up.
Threader is an independent project created by only two developers. The site gets 500,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Running this space is expensive and time consuming. If you find Threader useful, please consider supporting us to make it a sustainable project.