emily freeman
+ Your AuthorsArchive @editingemily human router • order #devops for dummies @ amzn.to/2XL7lGM • software engineer • public speaker • principal cloud advocate @microsoft Feb. 14, 2019 1 min read

This is my worst nightmare. And exactly why I’m paranoid AF when I travel.

Among other things, I use this lock to stay safe. I always ask for two keys and either don’t let maids in or ruffle the other side of the bed.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00186URTY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_mamzCbNKC3NMP 

While I'm on this topic...

- I don't get in elevators with men. I will wait until I can ride up alone or exclusively with women. ( https://youtu.be/l0JtgRiaS4M )
- I make the hotel look my room up by my last name if I'm grabbing something from the convenience store.

- I cover the room number on the card they hand me as soon as they hand it to me.
- I pay with a card instead of paying with the room if I get even a hint of creepiness from literally anyone.
- I put on my resting bitch face when eating alone in hotel bars. Never engage alone.

- I check in with a male friend at the conference when I make it back to my hotel.
- If the hotel elevators have a number display, I push multiple floors or I get off at the wrong one and walk down the stairs.
- I never let staff walk me up to my room.

- If there is a man in the hallway, I will not go near my room. I'll literally just sit down until the hall is empty.
- I abandon drinks if I have to go to the bathroom during dinner alone. Any open vessel on my table is sent back and I order new drinks (even water).

- I ALWAYS accept that my behavior will be awkward/rude/bitchy because I don't give a single fuck.
- If I'm traveling without colleagues, I don't stay at the event venue. This prevents attendees from easily finding me.

Stay safe, friends. ♥️

You can follow @editingemily.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Since you’re here...

... we’re asking visitors like you to make a contribution to support this independent project. In these uncertain times, access to information is vital. Threader gets 1,000,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Your financial support will help two developers to keep working on this app. Everyone’s contribution, big or small, is so valuable. Support Threader by becoming premium or by donating on PayPal. Thank you.

Follow Threader