Asha Rangappa @AshaRangappa_ Fmr FBI Special Agent, lawyer, faculty @JacksonYale. Tiger(ish) mom. @CNN analyst. Editor @just_security. Karaoke, golf, and Shakespeare aficionado. Views mine. Feb. 23, 2019 1 min read

Hey @SenFeinstein, my kids watched this video:

My 9yo: “She’s a jerk.”

My 12yo: “Is she a climate change scientist?” (Me: “No.” Him: 🙄)

Nice job with the role modeling.

Thanks to the commenters who posted a link to the entire video. The edited version does selectively show the worst part of the exchange. I acknowledge that having complete info and context is important, and you can find full video here 1/  https://youtu.be/cd3H1boPIIE 

Having watched the whole video several times with an open mind, I still don't think this was handled well. I'm sure that the Senator is right in that she has a bill that has a better chance of succeeding. But an important part of civic dialogue is an opportunity to be heard 2/

Especially given that she is not in favor of the other position, approaching the issue with some curiosity -- "What are the issues that worry you most?" -- is a chance to move the conversation from an antagonistic stance to common ground. 3/

I think she missed that opportunity (she literally didn't ask a single question). You can disagree. But sometimes the truth is in the middle: The edited video was unfair but her approach was not entirely receptive, either. Countering one extreme with another isn't productive. END

You can follow @AshaRangappa_.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Threader is an independent project created by only two developers. The site gets 500,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Running this space is expensive and time consuming. If you find Threader useful, please consider supporting us to make it a sustainable project.