David Roberts @drvox Seattleite transplanted from Tennessee; now blogging for vox.com/ about energy politics. Climate hawk, deficit dove. Not a doctor. Mar. 07, 2019 2 min read

Found out yesterday that my beloved dog Forest has torn a ligament (and his meniscus) in his back leg, is going to need expensive surgery (for which we're not insured), and will probably be homebound for 8-12 weeks. So yeah, I'm a mess.

My dog being hurt basically has me on the edge of operatic anguish about every little thing. Like I'm trying to get this old Mac to boot into recovery mode so I can wipe it, but it won't work, and I'm all

But seriously how do I get this Mac into f'ing recovery mode? It says to restart it and hold down cmd-R. So I do that. And it does not go into recovery mode. Then I yell a bunch of curse words and it and that doesn't work either.

I did it! I got it into recovery mode!

Update: Forest is now at the animal hospital, being sedated and x-rayed so the vets can figure out exactly what's going on with his joint. I'm sure he is not *actually* alone, terrified, and wondering why I betrayed him, but ...

Update for those asking: Forest got an x-ray and it turns out his doggie-ACL is completely torn in two. Not anything that will get better on its own. So he's scheduled for TPLO surgery on Monday morning. 😟🐕

I just dropped Forest 🐕 off at the animal hospital for his TPLO surgery. Best part was when I was leaving & he was straining against the vet's leash, eyes wide with panic, making those little whiny yipping sounds dogs make when they're scared. Luckily my manly stoicism held...

... until I got to the car. 😭

Update: surgeon called, told me all went well/normally with Forest, who is now awake & recovering. I'll pick him up tomorrow. (I realize no one's asking for obsessive updates about my dog but as my TL today demonstrates I tweet when I'm anxious.)

Update: The animal hospital says Forest is doing fine but they're going to keep him another 24 hours, just so he can stay medicated & observed. Will pick him up tomorrow. Now I just need to find something to think about other than him being alone & scared in a strange place.

You can follow @drvox.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Threader is an independent project created by only two developers. The site gets 500,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Running this space is expensive and time consuming. If you find Threader useful, please consider supporting us to make it a sustainable project.