Mike Stuchbery 💀🍷 @MikeStuchbery_ Journalist, Teacher & Historian (@BylineTimes/@TheLocalEurope) ★ You met me at a very strange time in my life. Mar. 10, 2019 1 min read

Today in @thesundaytimes, 'Tommy Robinson' is described as the 'best-funded politician in the UK', receiving hundreds of thousands of pounds in donations, tax free.

I got some opinions on this story... /1  https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/tommy-robinson-is-best-funded-politician-in-uk-0sm5d0blp 

First, 'Tommy Robinson' is many things, but he is not a politician. He is, at best, a paid employee of a political party - although I don't see him doing much work for @UKIP.

It has been suggested that he receives a five-figure salary for whatever it is he does, however. /2

The story states that 'Robinson' claims he's spent a great deal of his donations on legal fees.

It also discusses his funding from right-wing think-tanks.

It seems remiss not to mention the Middle East Forum, who freely admit to paying his legal fees. /3

I mean, don't take my word for it, the Middle East Forum's payment of legal bills was the subject of a @TheTimes story itself mid-last year. /4  https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/us-think-tank-spends-thousands-on-tommy-robinson-legal-appeal-97fsv5b6h 

The story talks about the fact that 'Robinson' owns a home in Bedfordshire worth close to a million pounds, illustrating it with real estate shots of the property.

This is exactly what caused 'Luke', the young man who criticized 'Tommy', to have his parents doorstepped. /5

Can we expect the journalist, or the paper itself to get a visit from this 'politician', banging on doors, repeating defamatory slurs?

If 'Robinson' is so protective of his family, you think he'd take action.

That pictures would be published in @thesundaytimes is odd... /6

You can follow @MikeStuchbery_.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Threader is an independent project created by only two developers. The site gets 500,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Running this space is expensive and time consuming. If you find Threader useful, please consider supporting us to make it a sustainable project.