Teri Kanefield+ Your Authors @Teri_Kanefield Author, lawyer (UC Berkeley) My threads are here: terikanefield-blog.com/ NBC News Opinion contributor Impeachment notes: impeachment-trump.com/ Mar. 10, 2019 1 min read + Your Authors

(Thread) Sunday / weekly roundup

Last week I wrote 5 threads and a piece for CNN.

#1: A firehose of Crimes (from Michael Cohen's testimony)

#2: Donald Trump and the International Criminal Syndicate

This one is about RICO. Will Mueller charge RICO? I doubt it.

But I suspect New York state prosecutors are looking at the Trump Or. (or Foundation) as a racketeering orgs.

#3: I wrote two threads inspired by @mashagessen's book, The Future is History: How Totalitarianism Reclaimed Russia. Here's the first one.

Putin and the U.S., Part I

#4: And Putin and the U.S., Part II

#5: Defending rule of law, even when we don’t like the results

#6: Here’s the piece I wrote for CNN:
 https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/05/opinions/trump-cpac-attack-free-speech-college-campus-kanefield/index.html 
Lots of people emailed me to tell me how stupid I am. Sigh.

They told me there’s a real problem with free speech stifled in universities, and that ALL ideas should be presented equally at universities. . . (cont)

Except that undermines the integrity of universities, which seek the truth and facts.

Pinochet, Urban—all autocrats attack universities, forcing academics to normalize the ideas upon which they base their regime & to undermine truth.
 https://index.hu/english/2019/03/09/agreement_hungarian_academy_of_science_ministry_of_innovation_and_technology_government_pressure/?fbclid=IwAR2r8AN3SzdePX-HCC3OpklF8O5aIx0BggxI4GlEz9BukSA9_t_bpc7xKOE  (cont. . .)

. . . Modern autocrats don't silence dissenting opinions, they crowd the sphere with lies.

Trump is cleverly using the First Amendment to undermine academic freedom.

Irony: The First Amendment was intended to speak truth to power. Trump is using it to attack academic freedom.

You can follow @Teri_Kanefield.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Since you’re here...

... we’re asking visitors like you to make a contribution to support this independent project. In these uncertain times, access to information is vital. Threader gets 1,000,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Your financial support will help two developers to keep working on this app. Everyone’s contribution, big or small, is so valuable. Support Threader by becoming premium or by donating on PayPal. Thank you.