Teri Kanefield @Teri_Kanefield Author, lawyer (U.C. Berkeley). I tweet about the law, books, politics, and history. All my threads are here as blog entries: t.co/vdLoEAoLvv Mar. 10, 2019 1 min read

(very short thread)

Hi, Anne,

The limits and reach of special counsel's appointment is given on the DOJ website, here:  https://www.justice.gov/opa/press-release/file/967231/download 

Mainly SC is looking for "links and/or coordination" between the Trump campaign and Russia, and "any matters that arose or may. . .

1/ . . . "arise," etc. You can see it gets open-ended.

The president is above him in the hierarchy, but the way the regs are written give him a lot of freedom. If, for example, his supervisor at the DOJ tells him to do something he doesn't agree with, he can go to Congress.

2/ This meant nothing of course before the midterms.

As a practical matter, though, what Mueller seems to be doing is handing off evidence of crimes to other prosecutors and offices. The result is that numerous prosecutors, all independent and independent of each other. . .

3/ . . . are investigating the president. This is why there's no longer much worry of Trump firing Mueller: the genie won't go back into the bottle.

Note: I try to answer questions, but I can't answer them all, and sometimes good questions get buried and I don't see them.

You can follow @Teri_Kanefield.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.