Steve Bullock @GuitarMoog Immigrant, Musician, Sound Engineer, SNP, ex-negotiator for UK in EU. Brother of @JuliaKayPotts. Supporter of @FinalSayForAll. Mar. 15, 2019 1 min read

Extremely important thread, and a great scoop by @alexebarker.

Advice to Council is that there should be a Termination Clause in the decision on any extension that ends it should the UK fail to participate in European Parliament elections. 1/

This would mean that if a short extension was agreed, there could be no additional extension beyond 1st July without EP elections in the UK, and if a longer one was agreed it would be terminated then without them. 2/

I know I go on about this, but I cannot emphasise enough that it is essential now that anyone wanting a #FinalSayForAll #PeoplesVote referendum make the case now for UK participation in the EP elections, both to EU27 and to our own MPs.
3/

Without UK participation in the EP elections, there will be no Referendum, if Council agrees with this (IMV pretty reasonable) advice. It is as simple as that.
4/

The Govt won’t do it as they don’t want to have to produce a manifesto and fight while split. The Labour Leadership won’t either. It has to fall to the other parties @theSNP @Plaid_Cymru @LibDems @TheGreenParty @TheIndGroup with @BestForBritain & @peoplesvote_uk and all of us 5/5

You can follow @GuitarMoog.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.