Peter Foster @pmdfoster Europe Editor of the Daily Telegraph. Formerly based in Washington DC, Beijing and New Delhi. Opinions my own. Mar. 20, 2019 2 min read

Right #Brexit peeps, what is going on? What happens next?

Short answer is its all pretty fluid, but here's what I think I know after usual chats with both etc (1/thread)

May will ask for extension to June 30, per reports.

Less clear if she will also say UK prepared to 'no deal' on June 30. That might be a key omission to watch, on which more later.

So will the EU agree? /2

Not necessarily. As @adamfleming warned this AM - and later confirmed by @JunckerEU interview - EU may say a short extension is "conditional" on May passive her deal next week (presumed new vote Mon or Tues)

That would be a reason for a short extension/3

Otherwise leaders would have to extension on her say-so. And let's face it, she hasn't inpsired confidence of late.

So the EU could play it tough: if she gets the deal through, she gets the extension. If not, then not. /4

But that is a high-risk strategy on EU side that isn't prepared for a 'no deal' (who is?) and would leave tiny window in the event May fails to win MV3.

Even if she wins the timetable for a statutory instrument inserting new leave date is tight. /5

And if she loses in those circumstances, it gets even tighter.

May would need to go back to leaders and ask for the longer extension that sources told me an @JamedsCrisp6 that David Lidington was discussiong with ministers and officials before Cabinet shut him down. /6

Could she do this without splitting the party? Collapsing her government?

A General Election would be a reason for a longer extension; or to explore an new (Norway) option that had demonstrated support in the House via indicative votes. /7

But that really is what one Tory peer just describd to me as "squeaky bum time", and notwithstanding clear majority in House against a 'no deal' it will require some brave interventions to stop it happening. The 'accidental' no deal cannot be ruled out. /8

So isn't that a pretty risk move by EU27?

Yes, and it is still possible EU leaders will take a different route when they meet on Thursday and agree to Mrs May’s request for an extension to June 30.

French are pushing very hard line I hear, but Germans less so /9

They may attach a rider noting that the UK must have held European Parliamentary elections on May 23-26 if they want to have a longer extension in the future. /10

This would set an effective deadline of April 12 for the UK to decide if it wanted a long extension, or wanted to ‘crash out’ without a deal on June 30 /11

They could also, as @jamescrisp6 and I report, insert a ‘mea culpa’ clause making plain that failure to hold those elections would entirely be the decision of the UK, and if it led to a ‘no deal’ that would be the UK’s fault, not Europe’s. /12

Alternatively, the EU could not take that risk and simply offer Mrs May a much shorter extension to April 12 to either pass her deal, or choose to go for a longer extension (with above-noted conditions) if she fails. /13

You can follow @pmdfoster.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Threader is an independent project created by only two developers. The site gets 500,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Running this space is expensive and time consuming. If you find Threader useful, please consider supporting us to make it a sustainable project.