Charity Majors @mipsytipsy CTO @honeycombio, ex-Parse, Facebook, Linden Lab; cowrote Database Reliability Engineering; loves whiskey, rainbows. I test in production and so do you. 🌈🖤 Mar. 25, 2019 1 min read

A structured log implementation for Java, with examples!! I am truly heartened by all this recent energy flowing into what has long been a crusty backwater, reeking of strings and sorrows.

"Structure your data.". Huh! You know, it's so crazy it just might work.🤔

Remember: technical debt isn't just shit that happens to look bad or offend your aesthetic. Technical debt *costs you* or it isn't technical debt.

The interest on your debt will be paid out from your time, energy, velocity, cognitive load, and eventually your burnout.

Are unstructured logs technical debt?

Unfuckingquivocally.

Logging strings locks you into spammy, fragmented data that forces you to lean on your intuition and eyeball scanning rather than data. You READ strings, you COMPUTE data.

I know, I know, structuring your logs needs to be done but somehow it's never p1... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

This is a failure of management and technical leadership.

Few problems will ever be as clear and straightforward and eminently doable, and few solutions deliver such a payoff.

The real problem is that so few have ever experienced the power of properly structured events for interrogating their systems.

You don't realize how many hours of your life you are flushing away every. single. week. 🤔 Interacting with systems should be fun, not frustrating.

You can follow @mipsytipsy.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Threader is an independent project created by only two developers. The site gets 500,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Running this space is expensive and time consuming. If you find Threader useful, please consider supporting us to make it a sustainable project.