François Chollet+ Your Authors @fchollet Deep learning @google. Creator of Keras, neural networks library. Author of 'Deep Learning with Python'. Opinions are my own. Mar. 31, 2019 1 min read + Your Authors

I love Kaggle. It's a great example of a small company that has punched way above its weight in terms of total impact. It has really made its mark on the data science and machine learning world. Perhaps more than any other company.

I was active around 2013-14. I won the first competition I entered, in August 2013, and the concept had me hooked instantly -- anyone, from anywhere, no matter their background, was free to participate & prove their skills. I learned so much in the handful of competitions I tried

Kaggle shaped the ML software landscape, too. It played a big role in getting Keras on the map in 2015. And XGBoost was launched through Kaggle, in 2014 -- the Higgs Boson competition. Finished 4th in that one, with a XGBoost + deep learning ensemble (no Keras back then).

Kaggle is a great underdog story -- itself full of great underdog stories. Really goes to show how truly open, meritocratic competition is a major driver of progress.

Openness and community are everything.

You can follow @fchollet.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Since you’re here...

... we’re asking visitors like you to make a contribution to support this independent project. In these uncertain times, access to information is vital. Threader gets 1,000,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Your financial support will help two developers to keep working on this app. Everyone’s contribution, big or small, is so valuable. Support Threader by becoming premium or by donating on PayPal. Thank you.

Follow Threader