Charity Majors @mipsytipsy CTO @honeycombio, ex-Parse, Facebook, Linden Lab; cowrote Database Reliability Engineering; loves whiskey, rainbows. I test in production and so do you. 🌈🖤 Apr. 01, 2019 1 min read

Hey, I would *love* to read some first person accounts from software engineers on learning to support their own code or even just dipping toes into prod. What did you learn? What advice can you give?

Will signal boost if you link me your story. 😊🌈

Sometimes people ask me how they can round out their career/become publicly known as an expert.

My advice is always, look for an emerging trend with a hungry audience, and start learning & talking. Observability is one of those, engineers-in-prod is picking up steam as another.

Nobody really knows what they are doing, and if you just write regularly on what you learned, share code snippets, and interact with other curious early adopters -- it's pretty easy to make a name for yourself.

People will always listen if you are helpful to them.

My first blog posts, conferences, etc were all around mongodb back in..2014? When nobody could figure out what to do about the global lock, or how to run on aws. I shared my chef cookbooks, wrote some posts on how to optimize EC2. We were the first adopter of PIOPS for mongo.

Anyway, I think the "devs owning their code in prod" is going to be one of the defining trends of the next decade. Trusted experts are just beginning to emerge, and you could be one of them.

Vendor-unaffiliated first person narratives are especially powerful.

If interested, I'm happy to chat some more with anyone interested in writing or speaking on the topic. I have a lot of ideas I've been too busy to work on.

Like, we need people writing and thinking and collecting stories about production guardrails in a HUGE way.

You can follow @mipsytipsy.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Threader is an independent project created by only two developers. The site gets 500,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Running this space is expensive and time consuming. If you find Threader useful, please consider supporting us to make it a sustainable project.