David Roberts @drvox Seattleite transplanted from Tennessee; now blogging for vox.com/ about energy politics. Climate hawk, deficit dove. Not a doctor. Apr. 05, 2019 1 min read

This piece is so heartbreaking. For me it was my dad -- we still get along, but over the years he's come to believe more & more things I just find repugnant, and the circle of things we can talk about has shrunk.

Breaking point was when my wife asked him, point blank, about the Parkland massacre: "is your unrestricted right to guns more important than the lives of dozens of kids?" And he basically said, "Yup." And I thought, "welp, that's it, gonna talk about the weather from now on."

The weird thing is, my dad was (and is) a friendly, gentle, soft-spoken, hyper-educated guy. He was a professor for decades. He reads voraciously, especially history. NONE of that makes any sense alongside the pinched, ugly, cruel things he says about contemporary politics.

Anyway, Fox & conservative media have utterly poisoned a generation of Americans with lies & demagoguery & the rest of us shouldn't just sit around moping about it, we should be PISSED at the people & institutions that stood by & let it happen.

You can follow @drvox.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.