David Roberts @drvox Seattleite transplanted from Tennessee; now blogging for vox.com/ about energy politics. Climate hawk, deficit dove. Not a doctor. Apr. 05, 2019 1 min read

This piece is so heartbreaking. For me it was my dad -- we still get along, but over the years he's come to believe more & more things I just find repugnant, and the circle of things we can talk about has shrunk.

Breaking point was when my wife asked him, point blank, about the Parkland massacre: "is your unrestricted right to guns more important than the lives of dozens of kids?" And he basically said, "Yup." And I thought, "welp, that's it, gonna talk about the weather from now on."

The weird thing is, my dad was (and is) a friendly, gentle, soft-spoken, hyper-educated guy. He was a professor for decades. He reads voraciously, especially history. NONE of that makes any sense alongside the pinched, ugly, cruel things he says about contemporary politics.

Anyway, Fox & conservative media have utterly poisoned a generation of Americans with lies & demagoguery & the rest of us shouldn't just sit around moping about it, we should be PISSED at the people & institutions that stood by & let it happen.

You can follow @drvox.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Threader is an independent project created by only two developers. The site gets 500,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Running this space is expensive and time consuming. If you find Threader useful, please consider supporting us to make it a sustainable project.