Seth Abramson @SethAbramson Attorney. Professor @UofNH. Columnist @Newsweek. NYT bestselling author. Proof of Conspiracy @StMartinsPress: tinyurl.com/y484j4ku. Analyses @BBC. Views mine. Apr. 11, 2019 1 min read

In the coming days, it's going to be critical for progressives to understand and articulate the difference between freedom of the press and knowingly soliciting, receiving, and distributing stolen materials from a criminal state/nonstate actor (i.e. not a bona fide whistleblower)

I *very much* believe in whistleblower protections for individuals promoting transparency in government in the field of their employ, and I have no difficulty distinguishing that from politically motivated theft or the politically motivated publication of the fruits of that theft

In the same way that a person can be a politician as well as a criminal, as Donald Trump is, a person can be a journalist as well as a criminal, as Julian Assange (arguably) is; in 2016, Assange let his hatred of Hillary Clinton overcome any core principles he might once have had

You can follow @SethAbramson.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Become member.