DHH @dhh Creator of Ruby on Rails, Founder & CTO at Basecamp, NYT best-selling author, and Le Mans 24h class-winning racing driver. Apr. 11, 2019 1 min read

Berating people for not tipping enough in the US, fine. Lining up behind the trope that the dystopian American system of letting patrons set wages for service staff because that’s how you “incentivize great service”? Get the fuck outta here.

Not only is it false (stereotypes of French servers not withstanding), but it also helps perpetuate this utterly cruel regime. Pay a living wage! Don’t outsource your payroll to the whims of patrons, so they can strut around like little kings and queens voting on peasant pay.

“I mean, it’s not like I love beating my dog. But, you know, it works! This is one well-behaved dog. Comes when I call, rolls over when I say it. Never mind that terror in its eyes. That just looks like sparkles! All I saying is, it works, mkay?!”

You can follow @dhh.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Threader is an independent project created by only two developers. The site gets 500,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Running this space is expensive and time consuming. If you find Threader useful, please consider supporting us to make it a sustainable project.