Adam Klasfeld @KlasfeldReports Reporter, @CourthouseNews: NYC+Int’l. RTs=What's it to ya? adam[at]adamklasfeld[dot]com PGP Fingerprint: F427 EE3B 6F05 E5D5 785B 775B 2C74 683C 219D 91DC Apr. 12, 2019 1 min read

NEW:

A week after the United States revoked the ICC prosecutor’s visa in apparent retaliation for the torture probe, the court’s three-judge panel rejects and stops that investigation.

Background:  https://www.courthousenews.com/us-revokes-visa-of-icc-prosecutor-investigating-torture 

Ruling:  https://www.justsecurity.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/international-criminal-court-afghanistan.pdf 

Hat tip, @just_security’s @rgoodlaw and @theCCR’s @katherga1, who had this reaction to the news.

On a quick read, this appears to be the crux of the decision:

The probe meets the ICC’s requirements to open an investigation, but the “current circumstances of the situation” make one unlikely to be successful.

Both the timing and the substance of the ICC’s decision send the message: “bullying wins,” @katherga1 tells me.

More to come.

INBOX: The ICC’s press release on this decision.

That statement makes pretty explicit that “lack of cooperation” from a country whose citizens are being investigated by the ICC can succeed in scuttling a war-crimes probe.

The ICC's presiding judge, a Congolese jurist who previously served in the International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia, is expected to write a concurring opinion "in due course."

Look out for my story soon on @CourthouseNews and I'll update with any developments.

You can follow @KlasfeldReports.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Threader is an independent project created by only two developers. The site gets 500,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Running this space is expensive and time consuming. If you find Threader useful, please consider supporting us to make it a sustainable project.