Garry Tan+ Your Authors @garrytan Cofounder @Initialized —Designer/eng turned VC investor in startups now worth over $36B — New YouTube videos every week — DM me on Instagram for startup advice Apr. 15, 2019 1 min read + Your Authors

Hanging with old Microsoft coworkers this weekend really underscored how much Microsoft just conceded the past 20 years

Every major battle: iPod, iPhone, iOS, iMessage, Slack, Dropbox

Completely dropped the ball. Total capitulation through just mismanagement. Much infighting.

Too many levels of management, too many fierce reorgs mid-product cycle, too slow to ship, overfocus on paranoid copying of what others already made instead of focus on users

Microsoft in the 2000s kept racking up the L’s but it didn’t matter, they always had Windows and Office

Being great at defending billion dollar monopolies does not make a good place to learn to make great products that go from zero to one.

Most of us left to build our own startups and the #1 feeling we got? Oh this is how it feels to just fix problems instead of fight politics.

Success begets complacency, so there’s space for startups always. When people think “but Big Co X is going to do it” I always think of the insane politics of big orgs that destroy products and waste the time of great makers.

It also makes me excited to fund great engineers, designers and product people who are ready to throw their chains off. There is magic in running hard in a direction with smart people and no pointy headed bosses.

If you are ready, the water is warm.

You can follow @garrytan.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Since you’re here...

... we’re asking visitors like you to make a contribution to support this independent project. In these uncertain times, access to information is vital. Threader gets 1,000,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Your financial support will help two developers to keep working on this app. Everyone’s contribution, big or small, is so valuable. Support Threader by becoming premium or by donating on PayPal. Thank you.

Follow Threader