Walter Shaub @waltshaub former Director of @OfficeGovEthics now with @CREWcrew personal account - views are my own Apr. 16, 2019 2 min read

.@RepSarbanes correctly summarizes my views in response to @RepMarkMeadows's mischaracterization. As I told Rep. Meadows in person, I opposed OGE having investigative authority until I watched members like him abdicate their constitutional duty for 2 years  https://youtu.be/p6JCp8cFkUo?t=11472 

What @RepMarkMeadows doesn't know is that I spent the first 12 months after leaving govt trying to persuade government watchdogs to oppose OGE having investigative authority. Then I gave up hope that members like Rep. Meadows would ever put country before party and do their jobs.

What's interesting, though, is that @RepMarkMeadows opposes giving OGE investigative authority -- you know, now that Trump is President. For Rep. Meadows, it seems, corruption is tolerable if he likes the President.

I don't mind the disrespectful way @RepMarkMeadows uses my name as a verb immediately before this clip, but I think such childish behavior is unbecoming of a member of Congress and diminishes the institution. What's ironic is the way he and Rep. Jordan mischaracterize the...

tweets in which I tried to nudge Trump to divest. I took Trump literally at his word that he would have "no conflict" and praised him for the decision to divest, which is what that would mean. If my nudging him had worked, the tweets would've been well-earned praise.

.@RepMarkMeadows is a smart man who actually understands this, but he's also a hyper-partisan actor who shaped his legacy by providing cover for this administration's corruption and abdicating his constitutional duty to conduct oversight, so the truth doesn't fit his narrative.

But if @RepMarkMeadows is interested in giving OGE investigative authority or, as I think we'd both prefer, adopting my suggestion of a "catchall" Inspector General with jurisdiction over all the parts of the executive branch that lack an IG, I'd be more than happy to assist him.

If @RepMarkMeadows keeps calling me a hypocrite for changing my view, he'll only continue exposing his own changed view. He doesn't seem to have figured out yet that he's doing a far better job than I am of arguing in favor of OGE having investigative authority. But he will.

In fact, @RepMarkMeadows, I can prove that it was not Trump but you who changed my mind. A full year after Trump's election, I met with Chairman Cummings and Chairman Gowdy to present these proposals, which argue against OGE having investigative authority:  https://campaignlegal.org/sites/default/files/W%20Shaub%20Legislative%20Proposal%20-%209%20November%202017_0.pdf 

You can follow @waltshaub.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Threader is an independent project created by only two developers. The site gets 500,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Running this space is expensive and time consuming. If you find Threader useful, please consider supporting us to make it a sustainable project.