Charity Majors @mipsytipsy CTO @honeycombio, ex-Parse, Facebook, Linden Lab; cowrote Database Reliability Engineering; loves whiskey, rainbows. I test in production and so do you. 🌈🖤 Apr. 16, 2019 1 min read

Another good point. Listen, all I'm saying is, if there's a magical 24 hour period after a deploy where all problems will show up and be of paging-level offense, I would love to see that evidence (and then maybe we can fix it!)

If the magical safety interval is 48 hours, otoh, we better block deploys on Thursdays too, if we Really Care about Weekends. 🤔

If there is no magical safety interval, though, this is just a job for boring old SLOs and process. Don't interrupt someone's weekend unless the bugs impact exceeded the agreed upon SLO. Then watch your fucking deploy metrics.

The number of times a deploy does not fail SLO out the gate, but does begin failing <24 hours later and not >48 hours later is nonzero, but not common.

Get you some SLO religion, soldiers. Stop cargo culting what makes you feel good. Control is an illusion.

You can follow @mipsytipsy.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Threader is an independent project created by only two developers. The site gets 500,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Running this space is expensive and time consuming. If you find Threader useful, please consider supporting us to make it a sustainable project.