Teri Kanefield+ Your Authors @Teri_Kanefield Author, lawyer (UC Berkeley) My threads are here: terikanefield-blog.com/ NBC News Opinion contributor Impeachment notes: impeachment-trump.com/ Apr. 18, 2019 1 min read + Your Authors

(1/3)

Hi, Barbara,

Thanks for listening. I enjoyed appearing on that podcast.

I'll give a two-part answer. (1) Many of Trump’s supporters vote against their own economic best interests because there's something they want more: Protection from their "enemies" . . .

(2/3) This thread might be the right explainer for why they vote against their own interests.

Second part: Why Trump supporters are okay with his lying and cheating.
I'm sure there are some parts of Trump's base who don't realize he lies . . .

(3/3) . . . but there can't be many. I offer some reasons they cheer the lie here:  https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2018/10/trump-lies-kavanaugh-khashoggi.html 
Hannah Arendt also has a great quotation on this. When a demagogue’s followers learn that he has lied, “instead of deserting the leaders who lied to them . . .

. . . they would protest that they had known all along that the statement was a lie and would admire the leaders for their superior tactical cleverness.”

I hope this answers your question.

You can follow @Teri_Kanefield.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Since you’re here...

... we’re asking visitors like you to make a contribution to support this independent project. In these uncertain times, access to information is vital. Threader gets 1,000,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Your financial support will help two developers to keep working on this app. Everyone’s contribution, big or small, is so valuable. Support Threader by becoming premium or by donating on PayPal. Thank you.