Amir Salihefendić+ Your Authors @amix3k Remote-first Founder/CEO of @doist, the company behind @todoist and @usetwist. Born in Bosnia 🇧🇦, grew up in Denmark 🇩🇰, 2x dad 😊 Apr. 20, 2019 1 min read + Your Authors

0/ Some thoughts on metrics, and what we’ve learned over the years 📈

1/ When I started Todoist in 2007 I used to do SQL queries to figure out things. There were no dashboards. In hindsight, this might have been good because I just cared about building a great product and not about the numbers.

2/ Over the years, our metrics sophistication has grown, and we track a ton of things; too many things. We’ve even created a very powerful cohorts database that has tracked billions of events  https://github.com/Doist/bitmapist 

3/ Tracking a lot of things have not helped as it dilutes focus, and some frequent feedback I got was that people missed having a few metrics we genuinely care about. Our people didn’t want a ton of metrics, but North Star metrics 🌟

4/ For .@Doist as a company the North Star metric was easy to figure out. We picked revenues per employee as it would ensure that we don’t overhire and that we always take into account how productive and impactful we are per employee.

5/ Product North Star metrics were harder and produced a lot more discussion. .@hfauq shared an excellent essay by @bbalfour that inspired our thinking  https://brianbalfour.com/essays/north-star-metric-growth 

6/ We settled to track 2 things for .@todoist and .@twistappteam
- Breadth of retention
- Monetization
We didn’t want to track engagement as we felt that today’s software is too addictive and this metric creates the wrong incentives.

7/ For .@todoist we picked following North Star metrics:
☺️ Breadth of retention: Daily actives for weekdays that exclude signups from the same day
💸 Monetization: Monthly recurring revenues

8/ For .@twistappteam we picked following North Star metrics:
☺️ Breadth of retention: Active teams for weekdays that exclude signups from the same day
💸 Monetization: Monthly recurring revenues

9/ We are still rolling out these North Star metrics, and I’ll do a follow up of our learnings as we evolve our thinking on this. You are welcome to share your thoughts on metrics below 👍

You can follow @amix3k.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Since you’re here...

... we’re asking visitors like you to make a contribution to support this independent project. In these uncertain times, access to information is vital. Threader gets 1,000,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Your financial support will help two developers to keep working on this app. Everyone’s contribution, big or small, is so valuable. Support Threader by becoming premium or by donating on PayPal. Thank you.

Follow Threader