David Roberts @drvox Seattleite transplanted from Tennessee; now blogging for vox.com/ about energy politics. Climate hawk, deficit dove. Not a doctor. Apr. 22, 2019 1 min read

Heard about that new study alleging to show that state renewable-energy mandates are expensive? Read Jesse's thread for more on the (massive & pretty f'ing obvious) methodological problems. He is kinder about it than I'm inclined to be. It's not just the absurd methods ...

... it's the complete -- and perfectly characteristic -- cluelessness on political economy. At this moment of all moments, when people are finally loosening their carbon-pricing obsessions & consensus is starting to form around a national CES ... comes this crap bomb.

At this moment, when (after years of state carbon pricing policies going nowhere) state after state is passing ambitious clean-energy targets -- the first broad, sustained momentum I've seen on climate policy in ages -- comes this crap bomb.

I guess some economists are just determined to stand in the corner, stomping their feet, clinging to their efficiency-maximizing spreadsheets, pursuing their monomaniacal policy fetish as the whole ship sinks. Feh.

"We are not political actors, we are disinterested Experts," they said haughtily, intervening in a politically charged moment with a politically charged document certain to have political effects.

You can follow @drvox.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Threader is an independent project created by only two developers. The site gets 500,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Running this space is expensive and time consuming. If you find Threader useful, please consider supporting us to make it a sustainable project.