Rand Fishkin @randfish Founder @SparkToro, husband to @everywhereist, feminist, he/him, author of Lost & Founder. Formerly @Moz. I tweet ~40X/wk on marketing, tech, & startups. Apr. 22, 2019 1 min read

We need to talk about @lizandmollie's new book, No Hard Feelings: The Secret Power of Embracing Emotions at Work.
A thread. /1

Every page is full of truth. Every damn one. Not just surface-level truths, but deep stuff that took me years of failure & heartache to learn or unlearn. E.g. this section on ROWE (Results Only Work Environment) and how the right type of autonomy makes everyone better /2

Or this section on micro-managing, that truly captures the feeling of not being trusted, then offers *USEFUL* and *NON-OBVIOUS* advice for how to break free. So few business books do either of those. /3

The writing doesn't ramble. It gets straight to the point, but does so with empathy, from a place that's somehow simultaneously authoritative but humble. E.g. this ¶ about employees moving on that so many founders/owners I talk to struggle with /4

I spent a lengthy section of Lost & Founder talking about psychological safety, but daresay Liz & Mollie did an even better job. The visuals don't just provide an (much-needed-in-the-era-of-web-browsing) aesthetic upgrade; they help the content resonate. /5

No Hard Feelings is filled with gems like this -- gems worth 10,000X ROI to the right reader. To be honest, I think I'm *JEALOUS* of this book. Jealous that Liz & Mollie wrote it so well, illustrated it so beautifully, and delivered so much hard-won wisdom on every page. /6

Most biz books can be summarized in a 20-min talk. The "Cliff's Notes" provides 95% of the value. *NOT TRUE* with No Hard Feelings. I love that -- the feeling that every sentence I read is worthwhile. Brava @lizandmollie! Can't recommend this enough:  https://www.lizandmollie.com/book 
/fin

You can follow @randfish.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Threader is an independent project created by only two developers. The site gets 500,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Running this space is expensive and time consuming. If you find Threader useful, please consider supporting us to make it a sustainable project.