Seth Abramson @SethAbramson Attorney. @Newsweek columnist. NYT bestselling author of a book on Trump's Iran policy, Proof of Conspiracy (Macmillan, amzn.to/2sQBWYL). Professor. Apr. 24, 2019 2 min read

I've tried to go easy on Bob, but FEAR was, simply, a bad book: Bob "recreated" conversations that never happened—a cardinal sin in journalism—and after doing *zero* serious research or writing about the Trump-Russia issue, started mouthing off about it.

I'm embarrassed for him.

1/ Any even *casual* reader of this Twitter feed knows more about the Steele dossier than Bob does, and PROOF OF COLLUSION contains (I say advisedly) 100 times more intel on the Trump-Russia probe (including the dossier) than FEAR. On Russia, Bob should be *resoundingly* ignored.

2/ Normally I'd stay quiet on others' books unless I wanted to recommend them (as I do those by Unger, Corn, and Harding), but Bob writing a bad and disingenuous book was *one* thing—him now holding forth as someone who knows *anything* about the Russia probe is a bridge too far.

3/ Go to Bob's FEAR is you want a gossipy book about largely immaterial Trump White House minutiae—Soap Opera Digest stuff, with about one actually significant fact every ten pages or so—or totally made-up conversations "recalled" by Trump staffers, but that's about it, honestly.

4/ Frankly I was *stunned* when I opened up FEAR and saw totally fake, made-up "conversations" that had been self-servingly and self-aggrandizingly "recounted" by one party to the conversation—which was always a Trump staffer. I mean, putting words in *Mueller's* mouth? *Not* OK.

5/ So when Bob opines on a highly complex subject he *never researched*—using, presumably, the sense of things he got from (say) allowing Rob Porter to make himself sound like freaking *Aristotle* in the fake conversations Porter "recounted" to Bob—we know where he's coming from.

6/ And the *worst* part is that Bob is encouraging people like @JamesAGagliano, who don't want to read books like RUSSIAN ROULETTE or COLLUSION or HOUSE OF PUTIN, HOUSE OF TRUMP or PROOF OF COLLUSION but will salivate over nonsense from a guy who doesn't know this topic at *all*.

7/ The Mueller Report—over and over—vindicated Steele from the slanders and libels (I use those terms advisedly) cast against him by Trump's defenders, who put shilling for a career criminal (Trump) over *thanking* a Western intel ally who was trying to aid our national security.

8/ I respect Bob's work and, as I said, don't make a habit of denigrating others' books—which is why, when Bob published FEAR and let it be cast as a Trump-Russia book, I stayed mum. But now that Bob's demanding to be heard on a topic he doesn't understand, enough is enough. /end

You can follow @SethAbramson.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Since you’re here...

... we’re asking visitors like you to make a contribution to support this independent project. In these uncertain times, access to information is vital. Threader gets 1,000,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Your financial support will help two developers to keep working on this app. Everyone’s contribution, big or small, is so valuable. Support Threader by becoming premium or by donating on PayPal. Thank you.