A.R. Moxon (Julius Goat) @JuliusGoat Novelist—THE REVISIONARIES coming 12/3/19 tinyurl.com/yxkldcx7 Newsletter: tinyletter.com/ARMoxon Blog: armoxon.com/ He/him Apr. 27, 2019 2 min read

Every bad guy with a gun thinks he’s a good guy with a gun.

Fun fact: life isn’t an 80s action movie.

Our national addiction to guns is a sickness. It's our belief that violence is the best solution to problems, and we are the best ones to administer it—a belief that is shared by killers.

It's a hero myth that requires massacres to feed it.

Good guys with guns require bad guys with guns or their worlds make no sense.

Hard to fantasize about stopping a massacre if there are no massacres to stop.

Here is the penalty for believing our foundational lie of redemptive violence: Cowardice and fear.

If the only best solution is violence, then I will be ready to enact it with less and less qualm from an ever-increasingly safe and comfortable position.

If I live in a world where violence redeems, I will become more and more ready to allow it to be delivered to more and more people, while the threat I perceive grows nearly as quickly as my fear, grows nearly as quickly as the Good Violence that I support to redeem the threat.

And here is the danger of believing it: the threat I fear will, actually, inevitably grow.

Because if I put more violence in the world, then there will be more violence in the world, not less.

If I insist on a world where violence redeems, eventually one of the millions who I, oriented toward violence, threaten, will agree to meet me on the deadly battlefield upon which I have insisted we all must live.

If I insist on a world where violence redeems, eventually one of the millions who I, oriented toward violence, threaten, will attack me not from their strength but from their weakness, will try redeem the Problem of Me, using a sword very much like the one I have drawn.

Again, every good guy with a gun believes that violence is the best solution to problems, and they are the best ones to administer it.

And every bad guy with a gun believes that exact same thing.

This guy’s argument against banning guns equates to “all the gun owners will engage in civil war and kill all of you, and they’ll think they’re good guys for doing it.”

Which from where I’m sitting reinforces the point of the OP.

The national gun delusion rests on the idea of stopping a bad guy, it’s true.

But it also depends on dreams of armed revolt, of Civil War, of shooting all your fellow citizens who are part of the problem.

You can follow @JuliusGoat.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Become member.