Charity Majors @mipsytipsy CTO @honeycombio, ex-Parse, Facebook, Linden Lab; cowrote Database Reliability Engineering; loves whiskey, rainbows. I test in production and so do you. 🌈🖤 Apr. 28, 2019 1 min read

reputations are a necessary shortcut for dealing with people, but as managers (or leaders) we have a serious responsibility to interrogate a reputation for accuracy, and actively update that reputation when things change.  https://medium.com/@egoossaert/managing-people-avoiding-the-reputation-trap-77051991fd22 

i have been thinking about this a lot lately. the trailing perception of people that persists long after the behavior has normalized.

i am notorious for being late. i have worked SO hard to be more on time this year, and to overcommunicate my status, but still.

it's made me more aware of all the times i casually drop a detail about someone and contribute to their own reputation. i'm not someone who believes gossip is bad -- if you ask the scientists, it's literally why we have civilization -- but how mindful are we?

at minimum, people managers (and managers-of-managers) have an absolute mandate to examine the ways they update and propagate the ways their direct reports are judged.

we easily shrug off our power. "it wasn't mine!" -- bullshit. if you repeat something, you create it.

management is a formal responsibility. but if you're a senior person in any org, your words carry the same power to create or destroy. so at minimum, you should be _very concerned_ with making sure the reputations you contribute to are accurate and up to date.

these thoughts brought to you as an attempt to distract myself from what i know of my own reputation in some circles, and my dawning awareness of just how unshakeable these surface impressions can be. 💰😵

You can follow @mipsytipsy.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Threader is an independent project created by only two developers. The site gets 500,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Running this space is expensive and time consuming. If you find Threader useful, please consider supporting us to make it a sustainable project.