Masters work with less information, not more.
• Painters see the essence of an object.
• Investors focus on needle-moving variables.
Information is nearly-infinite, and masters know which variables to pay attention to.
Masters of attention.
Experts always surprise me.
They consistently focus on 2-3 variables. But within those variables, they see layers of nuance and shades of complexity.
They find the difference that makes the difference and devote their lives to mastering it.
Simple rules inspire excellence.
For example, Turkish prayer rug designers say that wherever there are two areas of color, side by side, you should add a third color between them.
When you do, you get a dance of color.
Deep. Simple. Powerful.
All this inspired by this excellent book
Architecture principle: A big room should have daylight on at least two sides.
If a room follows this rule, it will be pleasant to be in. That is why bay windows make a room so pleasant.
Simple rules apply everywhere.
Home-design principle: The south side of the house should face outdoors.
The sun rises in the east and sets in the west. So naturally, the north side is dark and dusky, while the south side is bright and luminous.
The sun should make the south side welcoming and enjoyable.
Home entrance design:
• Make a path between the street and the front door of the house.
• Add a step to change the level between the sidewalk and the door.
• Change the walking surface and the light quality to create a "transition space" between home and street.
The best buildings have:
• Long tables for communal eating.
• Gardens where you can touch and smell the flowers.
• Still and moving water.
• Ceilings at different levels. Tall ceilings for public rooms. Short ceilings for intimate ones.
• Lots of natural light.
You can follow @david_perell.
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.
Enjoy Threader? Sign up.
Since you’re here...
... we’re asking visitors like you to make a contribution to support this independent project. In these uncertain times, access to information is vital. Threader gets 1,000,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Your financial support will help two developers to keep working on this app. Everyone’s contribution, big or small, is so valuable. Support Threader by becoming premium or by donating on PayPal. Thank you.