MIT Technology Review @techreview A media company making technology a greater force for good. Get our journalism: go.technologyreview.com/newsletters Apr. 29, 2019 1 min read

We're remembering science fiction legend Gene Wolfe, who died April 14, with this Q&A from 2014. We picked out one of our favorite excerpts, on why science fiction matters.  https://trib.al/KHQbFT2 

(1/2) "I think it matters a lot, because it’s mind-opening. That’s its great virtue. Ordinary fantasy opens minds, but not nearly as much. The Oz books [1900–1920] may open someone’s mind a little bit. Alice in Wonderland [1865] is kind of mind-opening.

But a lot of science fiction is much more so. For instance, I could write a story in which a man has a conversation with his gun. I might do that sometime. Prince Valiant had his singing sword, and I always thought they could have done more with that than they did" — Gene Wolfe

You can follow @techreview.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Threader is an independent project created by only two developers. The site gets 500,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Running this space is expensive and time consuming. If you find Threader useful, please consider supporting us to make it a sustainable project.