Steve Bullock @GuitarMoog Immigrant, Musician, Sound Engineer, SNP, ex-negotiator for UK in EU. Brother of @JuliaKayPotts. Supporter of @FinalSayForAll. Apr. 30, 2019 1 min read

I hate to say it, but it’ll be utterly pointless electing a load of brilliant (and I know lots of them, and they are brilliant) anti-Brexit Labour MEPs if they’re only there for 5 months because Labour UK ageed with the Govt for Brexit to happen.
1/

https://news.sky.com/story/brexit-compromise-talks-to-end-deadlock-move-on-to-nuts-and-bolts-11707265 

Wouldn’t it rather handily take the troublesome naysayers out of the game as well? After October, the influential and popular pro-EU, anti-Brexit MEPs would no longer be elected Labour representatives, would no longer have a rep on the NEC, and won’t need to be consulted.
2/

I know @ottocrat disagrees, but I think it’s extremely unlikely that the rest of the (non S&D) EP would under those circumstances include departing UK MEPs in the Spitzenkandidat calculations.

Why would they? The new COM president would take office the day after they left.
3/

So a fudge on the manifesto today (a ref on a “Tory Brexit”, not one Labour has agreed to), and an agreement with the Govt on Brexit ( in return for a handful of promises that will never be kept) would be the perfect win for the Lexiters.
4/

MEPs’ and prominent Brexit campaigners’ credibility undermined now by having to campaign on and explain a fudge manifesto they obviously don’t believe in, then taken right out of the internal party game at the end of October.
5/

But still, of course, picking up votes for the party from Labour Remainers who (very justifiably) believe in them personally.
6/

Undermine Remain and get Brexit while still picking up Remain votes and neutralising a dissenting caucus in a few months.

The perfect Lexit play.

If people go along with it, of course.

7/7

You can follow @GuitarMoog.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.