Charity Majors @mipsytipsy CTO @honeycombio, ex-Parse, Facebook, Linden Lab; cowrote Database Reliability Engineering; loves whiskey, rainbows. I test in production and so do you. 🌈🖤 Apr. 30, 2019 1 min read

alright this reminds me of a postscript I've been meaning to write ever since that mondo thread on alerting a while back.

because ✨what if✨ you were a software engineer who didn't hate alerts, bc you only used them for good and powerful causes?

🐝 scene: you are actively developing a feature, shipping a few times a week, mostly behind feature flags.

you set up a couple daytime slack triggers -- one watches for a header string to let you know if any traffic prematurely leaks; another one watches memory bloat

by comparing the current version to stable; another gives you a super early warning for your SLO error rate; another breaks down by test user traffic (for whom the feature flags are turned on)

Now you settle down to write and ship code, confident you'll know if something breaks.

🐝 scene: you are going through your backlog of jira tickets, and having a hard time reproducing some that seem to come in spurts.

So you set up a trigger for that particular error string over a given threshold, so you can jump in and observe live.

🐝 scene: you have a super important customer who doesn't do much volume, but they have a big launch coming and pay you a lot of money.

So you set up a trigger to let you know exclusively of that user's error rate, or if their traffic drops to 0, or if the /payments endpoint

is timing out for *their* users.

Do you see what I mean? There's such a powerful use for personal, non-life-impacting alerts that draw you into conversation with your code in production.

This is how honeycomb triggers work. Any query or derived query you can construct, at any level of granularity, you can define a trigger for it.

You literally create a feedback loop for yourself of

✨users, using
✨your code
✨in production.

You'll never want to go back to developing and shipping code blind again.

Or at least that's what our users say. 🐝

http://honeycomb.io/signup 
 http://honeycomb.io/play 

You can follow @mipsytipsy.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Threader is an independent project created by only two developers. The site gets 500,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Running this space is expensive and time consuming. If you find Threader useful, please consider supporting us to make it a sustainable project.