Peter Foster @pmdfoster Europe Editor of the Daily Telegraph. Formerly based in Washington DC, Beijing and New Delhi. Opinions my own. May. 05, 2019 1 min read

Where @ShippersUnbound reveals the Tory-Labour #brexit deal...which doesn’t make that much sense...

Apparently it’s a ‘customs arrangement til 2022 election...and then may the best team win on fight for hard/soft Brexit.

But.../1

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/c42af728-6eab-11e9-8b13-cb95e90c24a2 

If this gets the Withdrawal Agreement over the line, Customs is a pretty moot question until 2022 because we’re in a standstill transition arrangement...it could in theory end earlier But..../2

If the U.K. has passed the Withdrawal Agreement it will also have agreed to the Irish backstop - no hard border/no additional infrastructure and related checks and controls.

Which means hard Brexit advocates MUST fix this issue as part of trade/future talks. /3

I’d point you to my interview this morning with @simoncoveney the Irish Deputy prime minister in @Telegraph @TelePolitics ...right now alternative arrangements don’t exist. /4

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/05/04/britain-should-leave-eu-meps-take-seats/ 

Even on the benign Dover-Calais (GB-EU) border where u can have infrastructure etc a tech border isn’t ready til 2030 according to its most optimistic proponents. /5

So now on earth is an Con-Lab agreement to 2022 meaningful in anyway?

Reminds me of @DavidDavisMP being bought off with an aspirational “we’ll have a trade deal by end 2020” when the govt launched its June 2018 customs paper that first accepted need for CU in backstop /7

And all this talk of Boris-proofing the deal by entrenching the temporary CU pledge in U.K. law overlooks the reality that passing the #brexot deal just opens the door to a trade negotiation where border still needs fixing. /8

And right now, as @simoncoveney says, that amounts to a customs union....which is obvs why hard Brexiteers hate the deal.

All Tory howling about @theresa_may selling them out is funny. She already did that last November. /9

You’d think at some point (given abject failure of the strategy so far) we’d give up trying to move this thing forward with obfuscation and half-truths, but apparently not. ENDS

You can follow @pmdfoster.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Threader is an independent project created by only two developers. The site gets 500,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Running this space is expensive and time consuming. If you find Threader useful, please consider supporting us to make it a sustainable project.