Charity Majors @mipsytipsy CTO @honeycombio, ex-Parse, Facebook, Linden Lab; cowrote Database Reliability Engineering; loves whiskey, rainbows. I test in production and so do you. 🌈🖤 May. 05, 2019 1 min read

don't know how I missed this epic @clintsharp rant, but glad I caught up. THIS IS EVERYTHING I KEEP SAYING.

Your AI can be no better than the corpus of data it trains on. Your corpus is specific to you and changes every time you deploy.

We aren't going to have machines solving complex systems problems until some time *after* machines are writing the code to construct those systems.

Right now original intent lives in our heads. When machines are the ones who own original intent, then let's talk.

It's funny how everyone assumes that software operations can be hand waved away to the robots, but software development is a uniquely creative act.

Meanwhile most development labor gets replaced by a library or a framework every few years, like clockwork.

It is much, much harder to debug or understand -- or operate -- a complex system than it is to build one.

You can follow @mipsytipsy.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Threader is an independent project created by only two developers. The site gets 500,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Running this space is expensive and time consuming. If you find Threader useful, please consider supporting us to make it a sustainable project.