David Roberts @drvox Seattleite transplanted from Tennessee; now blogging for vox.com/ about energy politics. Climate hawk, deficit dove. Not a doctor. May. 05, 2019 1 min read

I continue to like the idea of a public option for social media: just a basic network, focused on privacy, with none of the attempts to be a news feed or anything else, allowing people to connect & keep track of friends & family.

Other social media networks that offer more elaborate features would still exist. But the core function of social media -- keeping in touch -- is basically a necessity for living in the modern world & right now the ONLY way to do it is by buying the whole Facebook shit sandwich.

It could be run as a nonprofit, funded by tax money, and administered by an independent board of directors. Just a simple, stripped-down, public version of Facebook. I would jump on that in a *heartbeat* and I can't imagine I'm alone.

You can follow @drvox.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.