Alissa Walker+ Your Authors @awalkerinLA I'm a writer, a gelato-eater, and a walker in LA. Urbanism editor at @Curbed. Easter-themed Peeps only, please. More 👧🏼👶🏼 and 🚲🚶🏼‍♀️🚍 on Instagram. May. 06, 2019 1 min read + Your Authors

About two weeks ago dockless electric bikes joined the fleets of scooters in my neighborhood and my travel habits have already changed dramatically

While I’d been an occasional scooter rider before this, I’ve used Jump bikes almost every day for two weeks. In fact I’ve been riding so much I now carry my helmet with me pretty much all the time. ⛑

My most common trip is between one and two miles, which costs less than $3 (and is often closer to $1). A few trips have been longer, like the time I intended to ride the bike to the subway but ended up riding the whole way to my destination because I was having so much fun 🚲

Of the dockless electric bike trips I’ve taken over the last 14 days:
- 6 replaced bus trips 🚍
- 2 replaced bus/subway combo 🚇
- 2 replaced car or TNC trip 🚘
- 1 replaced a trip I probably would have taken either on my own bike or by walking 🚶🏽‍♀️

A few times bikes haven’t been close by or didn’t unlock for me. But the thing I can’t stress enough is the overall reliability of the bike trip. I can stay at work about 30 min longer because I don’t have to build in time to potentially wait for my bus connection ⏰

In addition I have convinced at least two people to ride bikes with me instead of using cars. I’ll even loan you my helmet if you want to test it out 🏆

I do see a lot of people riding dockless bikes and scooters but they’re probably people like me who were already comfortable on a bike in LA. E-bikes can help, but the key is to make our streets safer so everyone who wants to can ride⚡️  https://www.curbed.com/2018/11/30/18105536/e-bikes-new-york-city-bike-share 

You can follow @awalkerinLA.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Since you’re here...

... we’re asking visitors like you to make a contribution to support this independent project. In these uncertain times, access to information is vital. Threader gets 1,000,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Your financial support will help two developers to keep working on this app. Everyone’s contribution, big or small, is so valuable. Support Threader by becoming premium or by donating on PayPal. Thank you.

Follow Threader