Janelle Shane @JanelleCShane Research Scientist in optics. Plays with neural networks. Avid reader, writer, and player of Irish flute. she/her. wandering.shop/@janellecshane May. 07, 2019 1 min read

note to self: do not let neural nets handle meat

(117M GPT-2 trained using @minimaxir's colab notebook)

and the upgraded version of the neural net (345M GPT-2, just released) has a definite morbid streak.

the new 345M GPT-2 neural net is impressively good at remembering to use most of the ingredients.

i sort of wish it had forgotten about the tissue

after more training, i can report that the 345M GPT-2 neural net can produce technically doable recipes.

i've never seen this managed before! however, the neural net might not be winning the Bake-Off anytime soon.

at the same time, the recipe-trained neural net still remembers a bit about how to do other things. here's how it reacted to the following prompt:

Obi-Wan Kenobi looked at Luke Skywalker from across the dinner table.

after the recipe-trained neural net finishes its Star Wars story, it goes back to its more usual job of making recipes. but delightfully its memory of that weirdness carries over into the recipes.

trained the recipe neural net for a bit longer and now it appears to be trolling me

You can follow @JanelleCShane.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Threader is an independent project created by only two developers. The site gets 500,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Running this space is expensive and time consuming. If you find Threader useful, please consider supporting us to make it a sustainable project.