Seth Abramson @SethAbramson Lawyer. Professor @UofNH. Columnist @Newsweek. NYT bestselling author. Proof of Conspiracy @StMartinsPress: tinyurl.com/y3co6tcr. Analyses @BBC. Views mine. May. 07, 2019 1 min read

I'm not one of those calling for Trump administration officials to be arrested. That said, as a matter of our rule of law, that option *cannot* be taken off the table. Across America, people are commonly—and politely—taken into custody for brief periods to compel certain actions.

1/ One of the problems we have is that ours is a pearl-clutching media whose members have spent little time watching criminal proceedings to understand how the law works for us commoners. As a public defender, I even saw a colleague taken into custody briefly to resolve an issue.

2/ The result of media largely having only a sense of how justice works for the rich, powerful, or famous is that those who describe common legal events like someone briefly being taken into custody are portrayed as nutjobs. More likely, they've actually been in a U.S. courtroom.

You can follow @SethAbramson.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.